19.4.12

First Letter Carried Across the Atlantic




Transcript
June 12th 1919

My Dear Elsie.

Just a hurried line before I start. This letter will travel with me in the official mail bag, the first mail to be carried over the Atlantic. Love to all.

Your Loving Brother

Jack

Captain John Alcock and his navigator Lt. Arthur Brown  made the first non-stop transatlantic flight on June 14th 1919. This letter from Alcock was in the mail bag they carried with them.

Sidenote: When I first looked at the letter I thought it was addressed to "elise." I got all excited, thinking my name was somewhere in history. Turns out I am simply a little dyslexic. 

3 comments:

Sara said...

Wow. I love that you love all these little pieces of history and bring them to my attention. They show how far we've come, and I love looking back to simpler times too.

the Grows said...

Love how you jazzed up the pictures! ;) And I love reading little snippets like this. I'm not genealogist but I do love a little history.

Elisse Newey said...

Thank you Sara and Beth! It is good to know I am not alone in cherishing these quirky pieces of history.
And you are so right about looking at how far we've come. It is a little crazy to think that mail had to come by boat only 100 years ago.