15.2.12



We are still looking forward to "valentine's day" around here. Eric had class until 10pm and I was still incredibly jet-lagged so celebrations were delayed until this weekend. But that just means more valentines-themed festivities throughout the week. I hope you don't mind. 

This lovely letter is from a GEM of a collection from the Missouri History Museum Archives. The collection is a series of letters between James Love and his Fiance Molly throughout the entirety of the Civil War.

His letters are incredibly detailed and provide a glimpse into the life of a soldier. They provide information on marches, camp life, diet, guerrilla warfare, and prison life, and include several poems! 

in this particular letter he proposes. After pages of discussing his trepidation in pursuing her he professes his great love and his wish that they could be together soon - despite the war. I don't believe in long engagements! he declares. 


And my favorite lines: All I want in life is a dear little wife by my side. To give me her sage advice and state "The Other Side" which I am prone to forget.... I believe that I have been blessed beyond the power of words in our true love. No shade of doubt has crossed my mind. I hope that you return it.. but if we cannot decide the answer to this question (of marriage) soon - I must leave you wholly free.

No comments: