26.2.12

My Family: Alvaro and Ellen Ball


I am so thrilled to finally share some of my own family history. When I first started researching my family I was drawn to my grandmother's family - especially the family that settled in the Sierra Nevadas during the 1850s. 


I grew up not far from the Sierra Mountains and learning about my own kinfolk establishing themselves in California when it was still an early state made me feel deeply connected to the land and the history.


Alvaro and Ellen were part of that family. Alvaro's father came to California by ship from Quebec during the goldrush. His mother came across the plains with her brothers and sisters. 


Alvaro and Ellen were married in the valley where they lived and presumably honeymooned in Reno, Nevada - the nearest large city.


I was so very excited to find a newspaper article featuring their 50th wedding anniversary! I love the little details - golden chrysanthemum center pieces and a gold and white wedding cake. I makes me wish I could have been there.

No comments: